Monday, July 19, 2010

Applying the love chapter to the Father

(NLT) 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud [5] or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. [6] It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. [7] Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

After finding myself disappointed in the snails pace speed at which God was moving in a situation, my own journey recently took me back to this passage.  Verse 5 questioned my love for my heavenly Father. I was getting irritable over the fact that He was not responding to one of my prayers my way.

Okay, I've confessed it and now I thank God for His forgiveness. (NLT) 1 John 1:9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.

I have often used this passage to correct my actions toward someone I found to be difficult, but this is the first time I've ever tested my love for God with 1Cor 13. We may revisit this again this week.

Today, ask God to reveal any ways in which your love for Him does not line up with Paul's definition of love in 1Cor 13:4-7.

Love in Christ,
Steve Sherwood, Sr.

No comments: