Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Talking at? Or talking with?

(NLT)Psalm 27:7-8
Hear me as I pray, O Lord. Be merciful and answer me! [8] My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming."

Is your prayer time a time of talking to or with God or a time of talking at Him?

When I'm distressed I tend to talk at Him. I tell Him, demand of Him, command Him, holler, cry, wail and,... well, you get the idea. But He says, "Come and talk with me."

How does your heart respond to that invitation? If you go and read the rest of Psalm 27 you will see the Psalmist listing promises from the Lord, even though he lays out his requests he looks to God's promises for his encouragement and hope. That is part of talking with God, listening, reading, remembering His promises and holding to them. In order to do this we have to turn towards thanksgiving for the victories we've seen, no matter how small they may seem in the moment.

Today join me in talking with God, not at Him.

Oh Lord God of Heaven and earth, we come to You today proclaiming Your goodness and blessings. Thank You for loving us, saving us, filling us with Your Spirit, and inviting us to a conversation with You. Forgive us when we (especially I) have talked at You, instead of with You. Thank You for the promise of Your forgiveness when we confess our sin.

Father, we invite You to take over the conversation the rest of this day. Take over us, our lives, thoughts, actions, words. Lead us in paths of righteousness for Your great Name's sake.

Through Christ our Lord, AMEN!

Love in Christ,
Steve Sherwood, Sr

No comments: