Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm a murderer.

#DE

(NLT)Matthew 5:21-22
"You have heard that our ancestors were told, 'You must not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.' [22] But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell.

Anger, name calling and cursing are placed, by Jesus, on the same level as cold blooded murder.

I wish to focus on name calling for the moment. Though there are those who mutter, "Idiot", about every person who annoys them, most of us are not so brash. I'm more inclined toward sarcasm. A sharp humorous remark that raises my seeming intelligence or understanding above my opponents obvious lack thereof is my choice of weapons. Oh yes, and I'm good at it. I can belittle the best banterers... but, does that reflect the love of Christ?

Sarcasm is just another way of telling someone, "You are an idiot. I am smarter." It is often anger cloaked in humor and if the other person fails to see the humor and feels the sting of the demeaning motive it may be a curse. Should they receive the message they may hear in their deepest being, "I'm worthless. I'm stupid. I have nothing to offer." At the moment they believe that they are crippled, disabled, murdered emotionally and mentally and possibly, even spiritually. They cannot be effective in the Kingdom of God if they do not know they are precious, loved and of great worth to their Heavenly Father... and I, with my sarcasm, am the crippler, the disabler, the murderer.

Today let us weigh our words carefully before they leave our mouths. Let us check our motives. Are we here to build up ourselves or to reconcile others to God? Are we here to lift up ourselves, or here to lift up God and His love?

At the end of this day will I have murdered someone? (NLT)Psalm 51:14
Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.

Oh dear God of Heaven, keep us from evil.

Love in Christ,
Steve Sherwood Sr.

No comments: