Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Loved, Free to Love, so do it.

Matt 22:37 Jesus replied, "`You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: `Love your neighbor as yourself.'

1John 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has become a child of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his children, too. 2 We know we love God's children if we love God and obey his commandments. 3 Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.

John 21:15 After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," Peter replied, "you know I love you." "Then feed my lambs," Jesus told him.

Today, take a moment to imagine yourself in Peter's position. In your minds eye see Jesus standing before you asking you, "Do you love me? Do you love me with your heart? With your soul? With your mind? In other words, do you obey me with your entire being? Is your heart, soul and mind submitted to me? Are your thoughts captive to the obedience I showed by going to the cross? Are your finances and other belongings surrendered to my will?"

Only you and God can answer those questions. Most of us are like Peter. We insist that we love God but do our actions show that love? Be honest. There have been times I have had to say, "Father my love for you is weak at best. Please forgive me and strengthen my love for you. Work Your love in me."

More tomorrow.

Love in Christ,
Steve Sherwood Sr

No comments: