Thursday, February 11, 2010

Loved, Free to Love, so do it part. 3

Matthew 22:39 A second is equally important: `Love your neighbor as yourself.'

There is a subtle phrase in this verse that is often overlooked, "as yourself." I can't think of any specific commands telling us to love ourselves. I believe the reason for this is we have a built in desire, or instinct for survival. In short, I'm rather fond of mother's youngest (That would be me) and I try to take good care of him... Me. I try to make myself comfortable and give myself a peaceful atmosphere. I feed me (too much sometimes). You get the point.
So what God is telling us is treat others how you wish to be treated. Someone asked, "How do I love mean people?" The instructions didn't change based on the neighbor's disposition. When you are in a position to love do it, show them the same love you would hope to receive were your roles reversed.

Note the neighbors in the parable of the good Samaritan were the man in need and the Samaritan. Jesus told His disciples if their message was rejected they were to wipe the dust from their feet and move on. Don't purposely put yourself in the path of someone you know will not receive truth and will only try to hurt you.

Sometimes you can't help but be in their path. Romans 12:18 says, "Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone." Sometimes, after you've done all you can they will still mistreat you. Pray for them. Vs 14 "Bless those who persecute you. Don't curse them; pray that God will bless them."

Since all the law and the profits are wrapped in those two commands, the greatest love you can show for yourself is to love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself. Just do it.

Heavenly Father,
Thank You that You love us. Today remind us of that love before we open our mouths to speak an unkind word. Remind us before we turn our back on someone in need that we have the means to help. Remind us what we do for the least of these we do for You.
In Christ our Lord, AMEN!

Love in Christ,
Steve Sherwood Sr

No comments: