Friday, January 4, 2008

Shopping

Today Evelyn finally spent the money we squirreled away for her to get some new clothes. Her blue jeans had holes in them and the hem at the bottom of both legs were torn through. When she walked she stepped on the dangling threads. So today she bought new jeans and a couple of nice tops to go with them. I sat and gave nods of approval and whistles of "Oh yeah, baby."

She is a beautiful lady. This beauty goes all the way to the bone. I am very grateful for her willingness to do with so little over the years. The churches we have ministered in have paid meager salaries. Often she has had to work to help supplement our income. She is a tremendous lady.

While sitting at my post just outside the dressing room, a dear woman we know because of the ministry walked by me. Her husband passed away very unexpectedly last year. This was her first Christmas alone. In another month they would have been married 45 years and had planned to go to Hawaii. We spoke for a few minutes and shared what has been going in our lives. I let her grieve and encouraged her and she encouraged me, understanding fully the empty nest thing we are going through. If you read this, say a prayer for Whinny.

Our conversation made me all the more grateful for my wife and friend, Evelyn.

No comments: